15 Feb 2011

Just like a tattoo


Marina and the Diamonds - Obsessions
  
obsession
–noun
1. the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.
2. the idea, image, desire, feeling, etc., itself.
3. the state of being obsessed.
4. the act of obsessing.


Some days obsession is my middle name. Today it was "Obsessed-with-tattoos". For years I have been playing with the thought of a tattoo. Always dismissed it because let's face it: me and pain - don't go well together. Hello, I don't even have my ears pierced! Oh and then the problem with how could I ever decide what I want to have painted forever and ever on my skin. I'm definitely not the most decisive person in the world.

One idea I had a long time ago was to have a letter tattooed on my stomach. But which letter? And stomach? Crazy! A newer idea was to have a word or piece of text written on me somewhere. Problem is the texts I've thought about usually mean a bit too much to me. One strong contestant (but the text is far too long! think of the pain...) could be one of my favourite phrases: "you're gonna catch a cold from the ice inside your soul" (major depression city!) from one of my favourite songs of 2010 Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri. (no, I'm not actually going to tattoo this text on me, it's just an example) But perhaps you understand the problem with texts and me... those with meaning are basically too strong. 

So yes, today my mind has been pretty much occupied with tattoos. And thinking about the questions that are probably most often asked. Would it hurt really really bad? Can I take it? What happens if I can't? It can't hurt THAT bad since so many have one. Or many! Right? Where would it hurt the least? No but wait, I don't want a tattoo on my butt. How would I then see it? Oh, you are supposed to have it so you can't see it so you don't get bored with it. But what is the point then? I want a tattoo for me and not for someone else to look at. No one would be looking at my butt anyway. I want to have it somewhere so I can look at it without having to be an acrobat please.

While I was working I was drawing on my hand and arm. And my favourite result can be seen below (actually that was made with a blue pen and didn't look too great, I redid it with a black permanent marker when I came home, much nicer). A heart that is just a black outline. And in a place that I can see when I want to, but that isn't visible all the time and can be easily hidden under my watch or a bracelet. See I was thinking practically as well! The meaning of this heart is much more complex than it looks, but I will not go into it at the moment. Perhaps if I do ever decide to have it done for real.  


My friend at work showed me this amazing blog with tattoos today: TATTOOLOGIST . I've spent so much time looking through the pictures. Less is definitely more when it comes to most tattoos on the blog. (you can also find the blog owner on Twitter @naridyard) And after you have a look, I'm guessing you'll be thinking about tattoos as well.  

And yes, it did cross my mind to want a parakeet tattoo. After all, I've been called Parakeet online since the late 90s. But you know what? I don't really like parakeets too much. I just got the nickname because someone's (dead) parakeet had been called my real nickname. And then the new nickname stuck after that. But if anyone can draw a really cool (and small) parakeet then I might take it into consideration. Selfish as I am. 

And fear not, I would never ever have a tattoo made just because. If it ever happens it will be because I am sure it is something that is important to me.

Gorgeous Jordin Sparks - Tattoo

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted a tattoo too. I even have one picked out--a hummingbird doing a sort of backbend.

    I'll never get it though. Too chicken! :P I love the Tattoologist blog. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I'm too chicken too, but who knows... perhaps one day I find it more important than the pain and everything.

    Very inspiring blog! I keep thinking about the meaning behind all those tattoos and what they might symbolise for the owners.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...