1 May 2011

Baking macarons - not really a piece of cake

I admit, I've never eaten macarons before. I have only seen pictures of the little cute looking small cakes and drooled over them in shop windows. But no, never actually tried them. They seem to be the new "cupcake" and everyone is baking them. I've heard they are really difficult to bake and for that exact reason it is still a huge mystery to be why I decided to try to make some myself. I am not usually the one who wants to take on an impossible food related challenge. But I guess everyone can change?

So I read a couple of different recipes on some blogs and then settled for one and tried to follow that as closely as possible. This is the recipe I used (in Finnish) for the shells and it is apparently taken from this blog originally (in English). I used ready ground almonds, but it would probably be better to ground them yourself, but since I don't have a food processor I had to to it this way for now. The filling I used was whisked butter, powdered sugar, some vanilla, some cream together. And also raspberry jam.

I think they came out pretty well. I gave some to friends last night and they seemed to like them and thought they were successul. It really was a bit of work to bake them though. Might not be doing this as often as I've been baking cupcakes...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...