26 Oct 2013

The queen of crime fiction, an inflatable kangaroo and a pig head doughnut

First of all, I'm exhausted. But happy after a fun mini road trip to the Helsinki Book Fair. My parents got us free tickets to the fair and we got to ride with them there so it was excellent for our budget too. Woke up little after 6 am (on a Saturday, absolutely insane!) and headed towards Helsinki. We had(!!!) to be there before 10 am when it opened because my parents wanted to get a free paperback crime novel and signature from its author (first 500 only). The book is by Finnish author Christian Rönnbacka and called Operaatio Troijalainen. We got a signed copy too, personalised to us and everything, so it was quite cool. Seemed to be a good book at least based on the cover.

Pretty crowded
  
Then we browsed around the fair, bought a book to give our friends' children for Christmas, got some free magazines. At the same time I kept reminding myself of how many unread books I have in the bookshelf, so managed not to buy any new ones. I haven't really been in a reading mood lately but I've still been getting more and more books to read. Fingers crossed I'll soon be in the opposite kind of mood and start reading and stop getting more books.

After a couple hours of browsing, we went to watch one of Sweden's biggest crime fiction authors, Liza Marklund, being interviewed. It was a short, light and fun interview which went both in Finnish and Swedish. Well the thing about how the torture in her newest book is based on real accounts of torture wasn't particularly fun to hear... At times the interviewer, who was completely bilingual, clearly forgot which language she was speaking, so I wonder if those who didn't understand both languages could follow, but I thought it was good.

Liza Marklund on the right


Liza Marklund also signed books at the fair, but I didn't want to get the hardback version of her newest book (very much prefer paperbacks) plus I didn't feel like queuing either. I got to see and hear her and took some pictures, that's enough for me. Plus I felt a bit embarassed I haven't read the last two of her books and now three, since the new one is out. 

At the same time as the book fair there was the Food and Wine Fair upstairs. I was looking forward to tasting lots of different things and maybe buying something too. Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed and there wasn't so much for me there. Cheese people, would disagree with me, since to me it felt like there was cheese wherever I looked. Oh and macarons, everywhere. Not that I don't like those, but it's funny how just a little while ago hardly anyone in Finland knew what they were and now everyone sells them. I can always make my own if I want them, although I probably won't since it was hard work, even though they turned out great the one time I made them. Actually even blogged about it here.

The whole of the food fair was a bit smoky, and soon we found out why. The Australian Barbeque Co. stand with its giant inflatable kangaroo and fake crocodiles. A bit morbid to have a big smiling kangaroo and then sell kangaroo burgers, don't you think? It seemed to be one of the most popular stands and people queued for the exotic croc and roo burgers. They did look yummy.

Smoky air around the Aussie stand

And as we are on the topic of food, or foodlike things anyway, on the way back home from Helsinki we stopped at a gas station and had the biggest and weirdest doughnuts I've ever eaten. They were like giant pig heads. Smiling pig faces. I could only manage to eat half, Mr A. consequently "had" to eat one and a half, poor guy.

Okay so it isn't exactly smiling, well you wouldn't be either

Now I'm sitting here wondering if I should just let the doughnut (or half of) melt in my stomach while sitting on the sofa or get my butt up from the sofa and onto the exercise bike and let it melt a bit quicker. Which reminds me that I should probably add a new topic to blog about, fitness related things. Believe it or not, that is now a part of my life even though the last half year it's not been going well due to injury and illness. But maybe more about that later.


Now onto the exercise bike it is! Butt up from sofa. NOW!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...